Saturday, August 14, 2010

Team Barang-utang

Meet my team...


Adam, Scottie, and Kat... we crazy barangs seem to be a bit of a spectacle everywhere we go and Adam's coined us nicely. (If any HOPE staff are reading, we didn't drive the moto, just a photo op! ;) )

I could NOT ask for a better team. I am super thankful for them - these guys are amazing. They are the most positive, good natured, enthusiastic, genuine and easy going bunch probably to have ever been on a UNION team. They are so pumped for everything we do and can't stop grinning from ear to ear and pouring out their enthusiasm to everyone around us. I have one great team!


So... what have we barangutangs been doing over the last week? Oh so much! :)

Well, for one thing, we've been building up this primary school, which will serve maybe 200-300 kids in the village.


Look how far we've come since the beginning!

We've been carrying some bricks...


Laying 'em down...


Carrying rocks over from the big rock pile...


Filling up the foundation...



Mixing cement...


Pouring it into molds (?) for the pillars (?)  - might be a more technical term for it - my construction site learning curve is just flying! There's re-bar or something inside, which I remember by rhubarb, as in strawberry-rhubarb pie). As an aside, I also learned the word 'trowel' the first day when we started laying down the bricks - "We need more of those spatula things" "Trowels" "What are they called? Truvels? Tralls?" "Trowels, Rainbow, like towels with an R!"


Anyways... it might not be fast, and it might not be pretty... but I know how to lay me a brick wall!


...and look fantastic my giant sun shielding hat while I'm at it! (not really, but I do what I can! :)  )

And even slug basket-fulls of dirt up from the river bank to bring to the school into the night!


Well, for all we've done, we certainly haven't been doing it alone... we've just been working alongside the local workers...


Who have become great friends!! :)

These guys just LOVE Scottie & Adam especially, joking around and getting the barangs to carry the heaviest bucket of dirt or cement! :)


Our real contribution really is probably not what we can do - they can lay down 3 rows of perfectly straight bricks in the time that I can lay down one crooked one! But we can encourage them with our presence, bring a sense of joy, fun and excitement about work, show them by our helping alongside the dignity of their skills and expertise, and just have a great time together! :)

A bunch of the village kids came out to see us on the first day... and have been back every day since!


And they LOVE to help out! :)


Even the very little-ist ones!


Everyone loves to help out, and work together, and I think that's what's made this team and this time "working" at the school such a great time for all.

Even in the heat... yes, that's us laying bricks in 44.5ºC

Adam, sad at 44.5

Oh and it gets hotter! 56.5ºC!!

But, heat and all, we've been having a great time. I just love how happy everyone is to be here. We've had some great 'group chats'... and, for some of the team, this has been the best trip or best thing they have ever done. In ways that they can't even quite put words to, our time in Cambodia has been an experience of joy in sharing smiles, serving and loving people, asking some big 'life questions', reflecting on & sharing 'why are we here?'. That makes me smile! :)  Just look at this enthusiasm... what more could I ask for? :)



Ah.. there is so much more I could share...  but it's about 1am now! So I should head to bed. As always... more to come! :)

xoxo
Rainbow

2 comments:

  1. hahaha...barang-utang. I just got it! Gooooood one

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love it! So happy you are having such a great trip, my friend!

    ReplyDelete